Skip Navigation LinksPennsylvania Insurance Department > Filing Your Taxes Consumer Alert

Consumer Alert: Filing Your Taxes

Commissioner Miller is reminding consumers of important information on about what to expect when filing federal taxes with regards to health insurance.

The Affordable Care Act requires all Americans to have health insurance. As long as you are enrolled in “minimum essential coverage,” you will not incur a penalty when filing your federal income taxes.

If you have insurance coverage through your employer, you will likely receive a form from your employer by the first week of April – either a 1095-B or 1095-C. Not all employers provide these forms, and if you don’t receive one you will still be able to file your taxes.  

If you have health insurance through the federal marketplace and receive a subsidy, you can log on to your account to get your 1095-A. This is available under the “Tax Forms” tab on the left hand side. Make sure to select your 2015 application, not your 2016 application. You will need to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit and attach it when you file your federal income tax return.

If you have a health insurance plan through the federal marketplace and do not receive a subsidy, you can also log on to your account to get your 1095-A, selecting your 2015 application. If you are sure you don’t qualify for a premium tax credit, this is all you will need to file your taxes.

If you did not receive a subsidy for your 2015 health coverage but would like to see if you qualify for a premium tax credit based on your final 2015 income, you can use the Health Coverage Tax Tool at to fill out Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit. When you finish, you’ll find out if you qualify based on your final income for 2015. You will be credited through an increased refund or a reduced tax bill.

The Pennsylvania Insurance Department is not a tax adviser and cannot provide tax advice, so if you have questions regarding your health insurance tax filing, please visit or call 1-800-318-2596, or visit the IRS’s website.