Begin Main Content Area

FAQ: Property & Casualty - Auto/Homeowners Insurance

What if I can't afford my insurance premiums?

Individuals across the nation are having to make very difficult decisions at this time. Auto insurance is a mandatory requirement in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  If you are having trouble paying your insurance premiums, call your insurance company or agent.  

The Pennsylvania Insurance Department (PID) has encouraged insurers to consider the following actions: 

  • relax due dates for premiums payments, 
  • extend grace periods, 
  • waive late fees and penalties,
  • payment plans for premiums payments to otherwise avoid a lapse in coverage 

The PID has requested insurers consider cancellation or non-renewal of policies only after exhausting other efforts to work with policyholders.  If your insurance company agrees to help, request written confirmation of the request and the approved assistance.

To view the Pennsylvania Bulletin Notice click here

Some auto insurance companies are offering discounts or premium returns during the COVID-19 pandemic.  Is my auto insurance company offering this?

With people staying home and driving less, some insurance companies in the Commonwealth are offering premium credits, discounts or refunds.  Contact your insurance company or agent to determine if your company is offering this type of savings.

 I am not driving.  Should I cancel my auto insurance policy?

Vandalism, hit and run, fire, storm damage, and theft of your vehicle can also happen even while parked.  To ensure your vehicle is protected, you should not cancel your car insurance.

In Pennsylvania, drivers must purchase and maintain auto insurance to legally drive. This is called maintaining "financial responsibility" on your vehicles. A lapse in insurance coverage may result in the suspension of your vehicle registration.  It can also mean a higher premium when you again need to purchase a policy.  Operating a vehicle without the required insurance may result in a fine, the suspension of your driver's license, and the forfeiture of your license plate and registration sticker.

Can I reduce my auto coverage limits to decrease my premium during the COVID-19 pandemic?

If you want to save money on your car insurance, contact your insurance company or agent to discuss potential options available to you, recognizing that your needs may change in the future.

I am doing deliveries for a local business during the pandemic to make extra money.  Am I covered? 

Talk to your insurance company.  Most personal auto policies do not cover you if you are in an accident while making a delivery for a fee or while you are otherwise using your vehicle for business purposes. However, certain carriers have relaxed the enforcement of this exclusion during the COVID crisis. 

I totaled my vehicle and I need more time to purchase a new one because dealerships in Pennsylvania are closed.  What should I do?

Talk to the insurance company and explain the situation. The company may extend you additional time with a rental vehicle. If you are still having difficulty, contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department's Consumer Services online at or you can contact us at (877)881-6388.

My homeowners insurance company asked me to do repairs, but I can't due to COVID-19.  What should I do?

If you can't meet your inspection deadline because of COVID-19, you should contact your insurance company to explain the situation.  The company may give you extra time to make the home improvements.

If you are still having difficulty, contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department's Consumer Services online at or you can contact us at (877) 881-6388.

I am a working from home due to COVID-19.  Does my homeowners insurance cover my business equipment?

If you are a business owner or self-employed and you brought your equipment from the office to your home, your homeowners insurance alone may not provide enough coverage.  Talk to your insurance company or agent so they can help make sure you are covered. 

If you usually work in an office but brought your work equipment home due to COVID-19, talk to your insurance company or agent to make sure you are covered appropriately. 

If I have a homeowners claim, will my company send an adjuster to inspect the damage or will they have to wait until this is over?

Depending on the severity of your claim, while maintaining appropriate social distancing, the insurance company may send an adjuster to your residence.  Some carriers may also use virtual proof to resolve smaller insurance claims. Your insurance company will contact you to discuss your options. 

Where should I go if I have more questions or need help with my insurance company?

Whether you have a general question, or want to file a complaint, you can get help at by visiting the Pennsylvania Insurance Department's Consumer Services online at or you can contact us at (877)881-6388.