Choosing health insurance is one of the most important choices you can make to help protect the health and well-being of you and your family.
There are various types of health insurance and ways to obtain coverage, and there are many factors that you need to consider when deciding which path is best for you. The Pennsylvania Insurance Department is here to help so you make make the best decision for your situation.
How do you obtain coverage?
There are various ways to obtain health insurance coverage for yourself and your family. How do you get your health insurance?
- Healthcare.gov: Do you buy insurance on your own for you or your family? Are you looking to purchase insurance for you and your family? If so, click here for more information on the individual insurance market and coverage purchased through the federal marketplace.
- Employee Benefits: Do you receive health insurance coverage through your employer? If so, click here for information on the large and small group markets.
- Young Adults: Are you making decisions about your health insurance for the first time? If so, check out advice for young adults or read Commissioner Miller's letter to college students.
- Older Pennsylvanians: Are you over the age of 65 and eligible for Medicare? If so, click here to view relevant information for seniors, including information on Medicare and Medicare Supplement coverage.
- Other Programs: Do you receive coverage through or are you interested in finding out more about one of Pennsylvania's subsidized programs administered through the Department of Human Services?
Remember, the Affordable Care Act established an individual mandate for all Americans, which requires that you purchase health insurance if you are able to afford it. If you do not purchase health insurance, you may have to pay a penalty to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Make sure you understand your options and stay enrolled in coverage.
Health Insurance Rates
Every year, the Pennsylvania Insurance Department reviews all proposed health insurance rates and changes to existing rates for plans in the individual and small group markets. We have a number of resources available to help consumers understand this process and obtain information about requested and approved changes to their rates. For more information on the health insurance rate review process and to see a list of these resources, click here
Information for Employers
Are you looking to provide health insurance for your employees? Click here for more information
on providing small or large group coverage.
How does health insurance work?
The Pennsylvania Insurance Department has a number of resources to help consumers understand their health insurance.
- Are you shopping for a new health insurance plan? Check out our short video on how to shop for health insurance or read our consumer guide on How to Buy Health Insurance (or Cómo comprar un seguro de salud). The video is also available en Español.
- Do you have health insurance and want to learn more about how to use it? Make sure to watch our video on how to best use your new health insurance coverage.
- Do you want to appeal a decision made by your health insurance company? Read our guide to the appeals process to understand what you need to do. The guide is also available en Español.
- Are there terms you've come across while trying to understand your insurance that you don't know? We have a glossary of health insurance terms that may be able to help.
- Do you need in-person assistance with shopping for a health insurance plan that's right for you? We can help you find an insurance professional who can help you out.
- If you are a consumer looking for a health insurance navigator, click here.
Other questions or complaints?
You can always contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department to ask a question or file a complaint. You can call us at 1-877-881-6388 or click here