Meet the Insurance Commissioner
Michael Humphreys, Insurance Commissioner
Michael Humphreys was named Insurance Commissioner on February 28, 2022, and confirmed unanimously on June 27, 2023. As commissioner, Humphreys is charged with the responsibility of regulating the Commonwealth's insurance marketplace, overseeing licensed agents and insurance professionals, monitoring the financial landscape of companies doing business in Pennsylvania, educating consumers, and ensuring residents are treated fairly.
In his role, under the direction of Governor Shapiro, Humphreys has taken immediate steps to make mental health and substance use disorder parity a reality in the Commonwealth. Under Humphreys’ leadership, the Insurance Department has strengthened its review of mental health and substance use disorder coverage in 2024 health plans and launched a new round of market conduct examinations targeting insurer compliance with parity laws. These actions are intended to hold insurers accountable so that benefits are covered fairly.
Humphreys joined the Pennsylvania Insurance Department (PID) as the Department was working closely with Pennie, the state-based health insurance exchange created by Act 42, to ensure a successful roll-out of the new initiative that would become the home for high-quality, affordable health insurance plans in Pennsylvania. The launch of Pennie was a landmark step for health care in the Commonwealth as Pennie continues to be a key source of affordable coverage for hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvanians.
Humphreys also co-chaired the Behavioral Health Commission for Adult Mental Health that recommended to the legislature how to best spend $100 million on adult behavioral health needs.
Prior to being appointed, Humphreys served as the Chief of Staff for the Insurance Department since September 2019, and before joining the PID, Humphreys served as Assistant Commissioner for Insurance at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (TDCI). In Tennessee, he oversaw the Insurance Division as it was reaccredited by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Humphreys has a Master's in Public Administration from Bowling Green State University and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University at Buffalo.
Pennsylvania is the fifth-largest insurance market in the United States, in terms of premium volume, and the 14th-largest insurance market in the world.
The Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner administers the following:
- Catastrophic Loss Benefits Continuation Fund
- Medical Care Availability and Reduction of Error Fund (MCARE)
- Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund (USTIF)
- Workers' Compensation Security Fund
The Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner is a member of:
- Pennie® Board of Directors, ex-officio, chair
- Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council
- Children's Health Insurance Advisory Board
- Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund Board
- Coal and Clay Mine Subsidence Insurance Fund
- State Worker's Insurance Fund
- Pennsylvania Employees Benefits Trust Fund Board of Trustees
- Assigned Risk Plan board member, ex-officio
- PA Fair Plan board member, ex-officio
- Federal Advisory Committee on Insurance (FACI)