Begin Main Content Area

Homeowners Insurance

A homeowner’s insurance policy will cover your family's personal belongings, your home, and the contents of your home, such as furniture, appliances, rugs, clothing, etc. Even if you don’t own a home, but rather rent an apartment, you can purchase renters insurance to cover your personal belongings. Though not mandatory under Pennsylvania law, a mortgage lender may require you to purchase homeowners insurance as a condition of your mortgage agreement. The department has put together a list of publications and resources to help answer your questions and help you understand your options. Feel free to browse the following publications and resources. For a complete list of consumer brochures and fact sheets, you may click here.

For information on what to do if you receive a notice terminating your homeowners' insurance, click here.

Preparing for Bad Weather

After the Storm Hits

The days following a natural disaster can be overwhelming and stressful. We have some tips for when it comes time to report a claim for property damage.

Hiring a Public Adjuster

A public adjuster is a person or business that can be hired at a cost by a policyholder to negotiate an insurance claim with the insurance company.

Learn more about hiring a public adjuster.

Home Inventories

  • View the 10 Steps for Completing a Home Inventory
  • View the tutorial video for the NAIC MyHOME app for iPhone and Android

Vacation Home Protection

Before you hit the road, take a few precautions to lessen the chance of a home break-in while you're away. Some of these could even save you a few bucks on your homeowners' insurance.