Begin Main Content Area

Disaster Recovery - What's Covered

(Please note, these examples are offered in very broad and general terms. Consumers need to read their insurance policies for terms and conditions.)
Flood damage.  Standard homeowners and renters insurance does not cover flood damage. Flood coverage, however, is available in the form of a separate policy both from the National Flood Insurance Program and takes 30 days to become effective.
Auto Damage. If you have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance policy, the damages sustained from flooding will be covered.
Power Outages. Generally, there is no coverage for damage or a loss caused by a power outage if the source of the power outage did not occur on the insured premises. However, if the source of the power outage occurred on the insured premises, there is coverage. 
Removal of Trees and Branches. The removal of downed trees and/or debris is covered if there is damage to a covered structure or the Pennsylvania Governor declares the area in which the damaged occurred a disaster area. 
Additional Living Expenses. There may be an allowance for offsite housing until your home is repaired. Keep all your bills and payments made for offsite housing.
Hurricane/Tropical Cyclone Deductibles.  Some homeowner’s insurance policies for properties located in Pennsylvania have special “hurricane,” “tropical storm” or “named storm” deductibles based on a percentage of a property’s insured value. These deductibles typically range from one percent of a home’s insured value to five percent.  If triggered, these special deductibles would apply instead of the fixed deductible selected by the homeowner, resulting in a homeowner potentially paying thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket costs. (These will not be applied to Super Storm Sandy-related claims.)