Begin Main Content Area



With the implementation of Act 147 of 2002 that was effective June 4, 2003  some of the barriers to filing an application for an insurance producer license have been removed.  An applicant no longer needs an insurance company endorsement or notary seal on the application; therefore, we encourage all applicants to submit their license application online through the State Insurance Regulatory Connection (Sircon) or the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). You should apply electronically through Sircon or to expedite the licensing process.   You will be given the opportunity to submit an electronic application at the testing center or you may choose to apply using your own computer.   

The option to apply using a paper application is still available only if you are unable to apply online.  You must include a cover letter explaining why you are unable to apply online; otherwise, the application will be returned along with a letter telling you to apply online.  Be advised that the paper licensing process will be less convenient and may take considerably longer than the electronic method.  If you must apply via paper, an application can be obtained from our website at applications and forms.  After your license application has been received and reviewed by the Department, you will then be provided with instructions on how to submit your fingerprints at an IdentoGO enrollment center.

For situations where an examination is not required (e.g. limited lines producer license, change of home state provision or the holding of the CIC, CPCU or CLU professional designation), we request that you apply electronically through Sircon or to expedite the licensing process. You will then have to submit your fingerprints at an IdentoGO enrollment center.


The Pennsylvania Insurance Department can accept applications for a non-resident insurance producer license through Sircon or the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) gateway. 




There are different requirements below for being licensed as a resident or a non-resident business entity:

  • Resident Business Entities - All resident business entities must obtain name approval from the Pennsylvania Insurance Department and then register with the Pennsylvania Department of State.
  • Non-Resident Business Entities - For non-resident business entities, the business entity name will be reviewed upon application submission.  Registration with the Pennsylvania Department of State may be required.  Instructions will be sent upon issuance of the license. 



Applicants for all license types can apply online through Sircon or National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)







Now that you are licensed there are requirements that you need to maintain your license.