Begin Main Content Area

​Health Insurance Questions

COVID-19 Testing/Treatment

  • Where can I find more information about COVID-19? 

The Pennsylvania Department of Health has a dedicated page for COVID-19 that provides daily updates. For the most up to date information, click here.  

  • If you are a patient who wants to be tested.

 Click here to visit the PA Department of Health's website for more information about testing.

  • Who pays for COVID-19 diagnostic testing/treatment if needed?
  1. Group Health Plans, Self-Insured (Self-Funded) Plans and Individual or Group Coverage through the Marketplace
  2. Medicare
  3. Medicare Advantage
  4. Medical Assistance (MA) and Managed Care Organizations (MCO)
  5. Community Health Choices (CHC)
  6. Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF)
  7. Children's Health Insurane Program (CHIP)
  8. TRICARE, Coverage for Veterans, and Coverage for Federal Civilians
  9. Indian Health Services
  • Common Questions
  1. What should I do if I got a bill for testing? 
  2. What should I do if I have health concerns that require emergency medical services?
  3. What should I do if I don't have health insurance?
  4. What should I do if I've been laid off and I no longer have health insurance?
  5. COBRA and Mini-COBRA 
  6. What should I do if I have an ACA plan, but our household income decreases?
  7. What should I do if my insurance won't cover COVID-19 testing and treatment?
  8. What should I do if I want to refill my prescriptions early to have more on hand?
  9. Can my insurance carrier cancel or refuse to renew my insurance policy if I am diagnosed with COVID-19? Can they deny my claim for a pre-existing condition?
  10. What should I do if I have Medical Assistance or CHIP coverage?
  11. What should I do if I have questions about Medicare or caregiver inquiries?
  12. What has the federal government done in response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
  13. How does the Families First Coronavirus Response Act impact what I pay?
  14. Do I need to claim a direct deposit or check from the IRS (Economic Impact Payment) as income on my application?
  • Where to go for Help:
If you have individual, small group employer, or large group employer coverage:
The Pennsylvania Insurance Department
1-877-881-6388 or 717-783-3898

If you have employer self-insured coverage:
The United States Department of Labor

If you have Medicare coverage:

If you have Pennsylvania Medical Assistance (Medicaid):
The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services

If you have Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage:
1-800-986-KIDS (5437)

If you have State Veteran Services:
Contact your county director for Veterans Affairs to discuss benefits and eligibility, the nearest office of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs of visit

PA Link to Aging and Disability Services:
PA Link partners work together to connect individuals with all available resources related to care, medication, nutrition, insurance, housing, transportation, employment, behavioral health services, and other supports regardless of an individual’s age, physical or developmental disability, or ability to pay. To contact PA Link, call 800-753- 8827 on weekdays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. or email 

Older Adults can always contact their local Area Agency on Aging for services and supports in their area. 

Mental Health/Warmline:
The Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) partnered with the Center for Community Resources to offer a 24/7 mental health and crisis support line for people dealing with anxiety or other difficult emotions. Callers will be able to speak with staff who are trained in trauma-informed principles and will listen, assess the person’s needs, triage, and refer to other local supports and professionals as needed.

The Mental Health Support Line can be reached toll-free, 24/7 
at 1-855-284-2494. 

Press Releases: